A History of Roxbury Cemetery
Long before the revolutionary war, in colonial days, when the stress of life pressed heavily upon the first settlers, there existed a little, quiet, peaceful spot on the hillside then known as Pepper Weed Ridge, where the first settlers, when death had claimed a loved one, carried the vacated tenement of dust and tenderly laid it away and went back to mourn and to labor, until time, that great physician, should heal the wounds which death had made and bid them again look up and hope.
There today may be seen the unchiseled stones which mark the graves of generations long ago departed and of which no records remain. During the time of the Revolutionary War, while part of General Washington’s troops occupied the forest which is not far from this spot and which was then their headquarters in this part of Connecticut, many brave and noble sons found their last resting place.
There the heroes of those Revolutionary days, those who gave their lives that this great nation might be born, and that men might be free, are sleeping. There those who followed generals Washington, Grant, Greene, Putnam and others sought a retreat when wounded in battle, for there the soldiers and the wounded comrades quartered, one to protect, the other to find recovery or death. Many found recovery, but some gave up their lives and are lying there forgotten, and their graves are not marked, for their names are unknown. Noble sons: why have men forgotten? And this little quiet, peaceful spot is now called Roxbury Cemetery of Stamford, Inc.
For a great many years after the white man came, no person claimed ownership to this spot, but it finally came into the possession of the Smith family, supposed to have been Hen Smith, one of the first settlers who came here in 1641, or his son Daniel, who was held up by him and his descendants for generations, but no person was denied the right to bury therein.
Ownership was eventually vested in the Bangall School District, the Baptist and Methodist churches. Many of the old residents of Stamford are now resting there.
During the time of the Civil War a resident counted over 1000 graves in this burying ground. In the year 1864 all plots were taken and no further burials were possible, so steps were taken to enlarge the cemetery. Hannah Smith, widow of Eber Smith, gave for that purpose a tract of land which included the old burying ground and other land for the enlargement to the Bangall School District, the Baptist and Methodist Churches. Ex Judge John Clason represented the Bangall School District, Charles C. Lockwood the Baptist Society, and John Mathews the Methodist Society. These gentlemen personally advanced the necessary funds to put the cemetery in proper condition.
After the cemetery was properly laid out and fenced, the plots were sold to various persons, and so rapid was the sale that all were disposed of in a short time, leaving no room for further development. This state existed for many years.
In the year 1911 Algeron P Smith of Stamford, died leaving a bequest for the purchase of additional land to enlarge this cemetery, and a tract of 3 ½ acres was purchased and annexed to the old Roxbury Cemetery.
Long before the revolutionary war, in colonial days, when the stress of life pressed heavily upon the first settlers, there existed a little, quiet, peaceful spot on the hillside then known as Pepper Weed Ridge, where the first settlers, when death had claimed a loved one, carried the vacated tenement of dust and tenderly laid it away and went back to mourn and to labor, until time, that great physician, should heal the wounds which death had made and bid them again look up and hope.
There today may be seen the unchiseled stones which mark the graves of generations long ago departed and of which no records remain. During the time of the Revolutionary War, while part of General Washington’s troops occupied the forest which is not far from this spot and which was then their headquarters in this part of Connecticut, many brave and noble sons found their last resting place.
There the heroes of those Revolutionary days, those who gave their lives that this great nation might be born, and that men might be free, are sleeping. There those who followed generals Washington, Grant, Greene, Putnam and others sought a retreat when wounded in battle, for there the soldiers and the wounded comrades quartered, one to protect, the other to find recovery or death. Many found recovery, but some gave up their lives and are lying there forgotten, and their graves are not marked, for their names are unknown. Noble sons: why have men forgotten? And this little quiet, peaceful spot is now called Roxbury Cemetery of Stamford, Inc.
For a great many years after the white man came, no person claimed ownership to this spot, but it finally came into the possession of the Smith family, supposed to have been Hen Smith, one of the first settlers who came here in 1641, or his son Daniel, who was held up by him and his descendants for generations, but no person was denied the right to bury therein.
Ownership was eventually vested in the Bangall School District, the Baptist and Methodist churches. Many of the old residents of Stamford are now resting there.
During the time of the Civil War a resident counted over 1000 graves in this burying ground. In the year 1864 all plots were taken and no further burials were possible, so steps were taken to enlarge the cemetery. Hannah Smith, widow of Eber Smith, gave for that purpose a tract of land which included the old burying ground and other land for the enlargement to the Bangall School District, the Baptist and Methodist Churches. Ex Judge John Clason represented the Bangall School District, Charles C. Lockwood the Baptist Society, and John Mathews the Methodist Society. These gentlemen personally advanced the necessary funds to put the cemetery in proper condition.
After the cemetery was properly laid out and fenced, the plots were sold to various persons, and so rapid was the sale that all were disposed of in a short time, leaving no room for further development. This state existed for many years.
In the year 1911 Algeron P Smith of Stamford, died leaving a bequest for the purchase of additional land to enlarge this cemetery, and a tract of 3 ½ acres was purchased and annexed to the old Roxbury Cemetery.